LUXEMBOURG, December 12, 2006 – Skype, the global Internet communications company, today released the beta version of Skype™ 2.2 for Windows Mobile that supports smartphones and enhances support for Pocket PC devices.
Now available for smartphones powered by Windows Mobile software, as well as Pocket PCs, including those using lower-power processors, the latest incarnation of Skype software further extends Skype use beyond desktop or notebook computers.
Skype is now supported by over 120 devices that run Windows Mobile software, giving more people the freedom to use Skype anywhere in the world where they have high-speed wireless access to the internet. Travelers who make Skype-to-Skype calls or use SkypeOut™ to call regular landlines can save considerably on roaming charges.
“Skype for Windows Mobile gives our users more freedom to use Skype on the go and is key to our mobility strategy,“ said Eric Lagier, Head of Business Development, Mobile. “We’ve now added support for smartphones and expanded the range of supported Pocket PCs. In fact, over 90 percent of Windows Mobile devices with WiFi can now run Skype software. We’re absolutely delighted that millions of more people can have Skype conversations on the move and without a computer in sight.“
“Microsoft’s Windows Mobile software is well suited to prosumer, feature rich devices,“ said David McQueen, Principle Analyst at Informa Telecoms and Media. “We estimate that Windows Mobile powered handset sales will continue to be strong in Europe and increase significantly in North America from late 2006. By 2011 it will be the most popular handset OS in that region and Skype is well positioned to shape the market.”
Skype for Windows Mobile can be downloaded for free at skype.com/go/mobile.
Key features and benefits in Skype 2.2 for Windows Mobile beta include:
• NEW: Support for Windows Mobile smartphones and more Pocket PC devices;
• NEW: Enhanced today screen: presence status, event notification (missed calls, new chat messages and voicemails);
• NEW: Proxy support: Supports regular HTTP or HTTPS proxies, and authenticating HTTPS/SSL and SOCKS5 proxies
• Skype calling features: Free Skype-to-Skype calls, support for SkypeOut, SkypeIn™, voicemail and call forwarding;
• User-friendly look and feel: As easy and familiar as using Skype on a computer, the software includes an enhanced SkypeOut dial pad;
• One-click Skype access: A Skype icon on the home screen lets users view and call contacts easily;
• Multi-person chat: Users can have multichat sessions using animated emoticons. When mobile users are offline, chat messages will automatically update the next time user logs in;
• Enhanced contact list: Users can see their contacts avatars and mood messages;
• Profile personalization: Users can take a picture with the camera on their mobile device and immediately update their profile.
Skype is the world's fastest-growing Internet communication offering, allowing unlimited free voice, video and instant messaging communication between users of Skype software. With over 136 million registered users, Skype is available in 28 languages and is used in almost every country around the world. Skype generates revenue through its premium offerings such as making and receiving calls to and from landline and mobile phones, voicemail, call forwarding and personalization including ringtones and avatars. Skype also has relationships with a growing network of hardware and software providers.
Skype is an eBay company (NASDAQ: EBAY). To learn more visit skype.com.
Skype is not a replacement for your ordinary telephone and cannot be used for emergency calling.
Skype, SkypeIn, SkypeOut, Skype Me, Skype Certified, Skypecasts, associated logos and the “S” symbol are trademarks of Skype Limited.